- Dilates blood vessels,
- Treats GI,
- Rapid change of symptoms-pains change in regard to place and characteristics
- Alternates thirst, hunger, appetite, etc.
- Acts forcibly on the venous system,
- Producing pelvic engorgement and hemorrhoid.
- Hepatic and rheumatic affections,
- urinary complaints.
- hemorrhoid complaint
- menstrual complaints.
- Old gouty constitutions.
- pain region of kidneys is most marked, hence its use in renal and vesical troubles,
- Gall Stones and vesical catarrh.
- it causes inflammation of kidneys with haematuria.
- pains may be felt all over the body emanating from the small of back.
- It has also marked action on the liver, promoting the flow of bile.
- Often called for in arthritic affections with urinary disturbances.
- Wandering, radiating pains.
- Acts well in fleshy persons, good livers but with little endurance.
- Spinal irritation.
- All Berberis pains radiate, are not worse by pressure, but worse in various attitude, especially standing and active exercise.
A deciduous shrub having roots of pale yellow colour.
is 1-2.5 m high and even higher under cultivation,with thorny alternate, angular branches.
in tufts,somewhat ab-ovate, more or less pointed. serrated and fringed, and with 3 cleft spreading, sharp thorns at the base of each leaf bud.
in drooping,many-flowered racemes,golden yellow with red glands.
a scarlet berry,oblong in loos bunches.
Europe, India and north of Asia.
Bark of the root.
Bark of the root is yellowish externally with sometimes orange shade.
Root Transverse section of young root shows epidermal cells with a thick cuticle, varying in size and showing no hair growth. Cortex consists of 4-6 layers of celloluse walled cells, irregular in shape. Few isolated or small groups of roundish ignified cells are present. Pericycle is of two distinct zones of scelernchymatous and parenchymatous origin.The phelogen develops from cellulose parenchyma, the crescent of fibers behind each phloem is about 3 cells wide in central part.In old roots cork cells are tabular and lignified.
Pericycle represented by inner lacunous walls, with large air gapes. fibers of two types containing scelerenchymatous sheath and semi-lunar groups behind primary phloem bundles present. Prismatic crystals present.
- Introduced by DR. Hesse, Bib. Hom. de Gen.,V.,46
- Allen's Encyclop. Mat. Med., Vol. ll, 139.
PreparationMother Tincture; Drug strength 1/10
- Berberis Vulgaris in coarse powder 100 g
- Strong Alcohol 537 ml
|Botanical||Berberis Vulgaris Linn.|
- Origin: Europe
- Product Code: European Barberry
- Availability: 2 Months